In 2010, Alex Saldanha, Abakus CEO, launched a technology R&D project to explore the problem of inaccurate marketing measurement and optimization. The research was designed to explore the use of advanced mathematics to develop a software solution to this problem. It’s findings were the breakthrough application of economic game theory to marketing measurement and optimization. This triggered the following development:
- 2012: Abakus founded; attribution engine software released (Patent# US8775248)
- 2013: Real-time web-based UI; External data integration and configuration platform
- 2014: Flexible marketing taxonomy; Cost data integrations
- 2015: Programmatic integration; Predictive optimization dashboard
- 2017: Abakus acquired by SAP
A sole focus on solving marketers’ problems using software remains the driving force in the company’s development.